Canine Blood Donation
Could your dog be a lifesaver?
As with people, critically ill and injured animals can sometimes require blood transfusions in order to survive. We are always looking for new donors to join our blood donor register, so if your dog matches the criteria and you would be interested in volunteering your dog to give blood, we would love to hear from you. Currently, we only call on our registered donors in the event of a patient needing an emergency blood transfusion, however in future (with enough volunteers) we hope to host a blood donor session at the hospital.
Criteria for a canine blood donor
Your dog must:
- be deemed fit and healthy by physical examination
- be a young, lean adult, aged between 1 and 8 years
- have a good temperament
- weigh 25kg or over
- be fully up to date with vaccinations (however your pet will not be able to give blood within 14 days of having had a vaccination)
- not be receiving any medication other than preventative flea and worm treatment
- not have travelled abroad
- not have received a blood transfusion before
- have normal results if they have had routine blood biochemistry and haematology tests
If you would like to put a dog forward to be a blood donor, please complete the Canine Blood Donor Registration Form below.
By submitting this form, you are giving Holly House Veterinary Hospital permission to contact you. Once the information provided has been verified, we will be in touch to confirm that your pet has been added to our donor register and to confirm your availability in the event of Holly House requiring an emergency blood donor.